You may get lots of good interview tips. Listen to them all and figure out your key take aways. Mine boil down to the following:
- Make the right first impression. Greet interviewers with a firm handshake and smile.
- If the interview stagnates, be prepared to lead. Have questions ready in your back pocket.
- Ask insightful questions that engage interviewers and make them think.
- Demonstrate interest – but not desperation.
- Communicate clearly. Ask, “Is there anything else you need to know about me to assess my candidacy?.”
- Make as many connections as possible. Use cocktail parties and dinners strategically.
- Listen to the question carefully before responding – don’t anticipate.
- Assume you are being evaluated during every interaction with anyone from the firm and act accordingly.
- Let some of your personality come through.
- Ask questions you could answer with proper research about the firm.
- Be too casual; This is a business relationship.
- Wear your stress.
- Miss opportunities to connect with the firm.